Smolensky Metro Bridge in Moscow is a simple span steel arch bridge that spans the Moskva River. It is situated between Smolenskaya and Kiyevskaya subway stations on the Filyovskaya line of the Moscow Metro. It is the oldest metro bridge in Russia.
Rail service to the Kiyevskaya station was open on 20 March 1937.
On 5 April 1953 the rail serivce on the Arbatsko-Filyovskaya line was moved to a new deep alignment Metro line which was renamed into Arbatsko-Pokrovskaya and the regular train service was closed then.
It was resumed on 7 November 1958 with the opening of the new Filyovskaya line, which used the metro bridge and the stations built in 1935 and 1937. In 1978 the approaches to the bridge where covered with an acoustic casing with the only open areas above the quays and the river.
The bridge was designed by N.P.Polikarpov, P.K.Antonov (structural engineering) and the Yakovlev brothers (architectural design). Nikolai Streletsky and Georgiy Yevgrafov, professors at Moscow State University of Railway Engineering, were project consultants.
Before the second phase of the metro construction started, the competition for the best bridge design was held and the most modest project was chosen.
The bridge is only decorated with a steel Metro badge on the arch keystone and cast iron vases on the abutments.